Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Difference between cholesterol, triglycerides

Here is another interesting question I found whilst researching cholesterol this week. Things get so complicated, its nice to have an explanation in real lingo! For similar questions, answers and latest research, see the "Cholesterol Directory" under 'My Favorite Links'.

"Q. I just had my blood work done. My cholesterol is fine but my triglycerides are high.

Can you explain what the difference is and what could make the one be high and the other not?

A. Cholesterol and triglycerides are two forms of fat. Both of them are necessary for life itself. One of the functions of cholesterol is to build cell membranes and several essential hormones.

Triglycerides are the chemical form in which most fat exists in food as well as in the body. They are also present in blood plasma and, in association with cholesterol, form the plasma lipids.

In "my" language: triglycerides are a form of fat carried through the blood stream. When you eat, your body converts any calories it does not need at that moment and stores it as triglycerides."

For more info and article source see: http://www.salisburypost.com/lifestyle/344415385622066.php

No comments: